dad, this one's for you.
and mom, you'll want to have the vanilla ice cream on hand.
allow me to introduce the camp dessert of choice 2010 edition. 2009 was the summer of the cream cheese pound cake- this year, we're all about blueberry pie bars. so lemony. so summery. so blasted tempting. we love them hot, we love cold, we love them in the fridge two days old. we love them as an alternative for coffee cake in the morning. and we (i) love it as an idea for grant's birthday cake. and we think you'll love them too.
berry cobbler pie bars (with lemon sugar!)
crust and topping
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups raw sugar or coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) chilled butter, cut into cubes
zest of two lemons
4 large eggs
2 cups raw sugar or coconut sugar
1 cup sour cream
juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
3/4 cup flour
pinch of salt
6 cups of fresh berries, or 2 (16 oz) pkgs frozen berries
* if using frozen berries, be sure to defrost and drain excess liquid. place frozen berries on a plate in the fridge overnight and they'll be ready for baking the next day.
* we used mini wild blueberries for this batch and they are a perfect fit. i love lemon with blueberries!
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease a half-sheet baking pan (12 x 17) and set aside. if you use a 9 x 13, you'll just have thicker bars.
2. zest two lemons. measure out the sugar onto a clean work surface, then rub the zest into the sugar with the back of a spoon. this will create a lemon scented sugar. (so yummy!)
3. combine lemon sugar, flour, salt and butter in a mixer with the paddle attachment. beat the ingredients on medium speed until it looks dry and crumbly. reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture to use as the topping. press remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan.
4. bake crust for 12 to 15 min, or until golden brown. let cool for 10 min. while you make the filling.
5. for filling: whisk the eggs in a large bowl. add sugar, sour cream, lemon juice, flour, and salt. gently fold in berries. spoon the mixture evenly over the crust. you may have to distribute the berries evenly around.
6. sprinkle reserved crust mixture evenly over filling. bake for 45 to 55 min, or until top is lightly browned. serve warm, a la mode. or refrigerate for later, as they are incredible cold.
man alive. these are good.