November 21, 2011
butternutpancake

so i made these pancakes at 2:30 in the afternoon. yes, i was flipping pancakes at such an hour. it felt strange. pancakes for breakfast? sweet! like on snow days and stuff? yes. pancakes for dinner? of course. like all the time! pancakes at 2:30? ...weird. but let's face it, the batter was sitting in the fridge, i was hungry, my husband wouldn't be home for another 7 hours, my baby was content outside my arms, umm.. i already knew how good they were, and therefore: i was having pancakes! strike while the cast iron is hot, guys. (and please do cook these in a cast iron. mmm.)

so would you like to play a game?
do i love these pancakes because they
a. taste like fall?
b. are mildly sweet and spiced just right?
c. cook up deliciously, delicately dense?
d. use up leftover cooked squash. (or pumpkin puree)?
e. have 5 easy ingredients and are grain free?
f. all of the above.

if you circled "f" in your imagination, you are correct!

bnpancakeduo

butternut pancakes (grain free!)

2 cups cooked butternut squash*
8 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

combine all ingredients in a blender or mixing bowl with a hand mixer. grease a cast iron pan with coconut oil and bring to low-ish medium heat. not too hot, now. use a large spoon to pour small dollops of batter (not much bigger than coin-size) in the pan. wait to try to flip until bubbles appear on top and pancake is clearly a cohesive cake :) enjoy immediately or place on a cookie sheet in a 200-degree oven until ready to eat. or toast them when ready! i call them "toasty butternut" for a reason. i toast mine. so good.

makes about 16 small pancakes.
top with butter, maple syrup, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
these taste sweet enough to me, but if you have a sweet tooth you may want a tablespoon or two of honey in the batter.

*sure-fire way to cook winter squash: cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp and seeds with an ice cream scoop. put squash face down in a dish, fill with 1/2 inch of water. bake at 350, or whatever your oven is at for something else (300 or 375 are great), for about 60 minutes, or until the squash is super soft. remove from oven, flip and scoop out yummy flesh. top with coconut oil and sea salt and enjoy right away, or use in your favorite recipes. or you can put the whole squash, uncut, in the dish with water and bake for about 90 minutes, then do the cutting and scooping at the end.  

5 comments:

Renee said...

think I'll try these using the pumpkin puree option! sounds so yummy right now...at 12:30 pm!!

ilovecooking said...

Wow! Butternut squash in a pancake? seriously? That's so unusual to me. I'll try it though. You made it sound tasty enough. I've had pumpkin pancakes before, so I would like to try it with the squash.

I love easy pancakes, and this recipe is really simple so it's worth the effort. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope me and my kids will love these pancakes as much as you do :)

Hannah said...

Summer, these sound and look yummy! Thanks for the tip on cooking a butternut squash in water - I had never thought of doing that but I prefer it as a healthier option to roasting : )

kami said...

Are these hard to flip...like flimsy? My squash pancakes are so hard to flip so I rarely make them but they're so tasty.

Off Label Mama said...

So I just posted a comment on your latest post about the GAPS diet and how I love it, but I'm focusing on a fertility based diet.... but look at all the eggs in this recipe! That TOTALLY falls in line with what I need to be eating right now.

*happy dance* This Celiac's person with fertility issues is now thanking you for a way to eat pancakes again!

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts