June 12, 2012
Tuesday June 14th. At Home.
4:00 am I'll never forget driving home from camp in the wee hours of the morning- thrilling (labor! ahh!), yet oddly serene. We got to our house and I unpacked and put in a load of laundry. The house felt quiet and cool. Since we were having the baby at home, it was comforting to know I didn't have to think about leaving any time soon. Contractions had practically stopped at this point, so we settled down to try round two of sleep. I remember the birds were already singing and the sky was getting lighter as we climbed in bed. The beginning of my backwards days- calm during daylight and all the action comes at night. 
Morning Called Erika (our midwife) to update her. Got light sleep until 11 am, then we got up for the day, put on sweatshirts and ate some peanut butter toast and cereal. We turned on the heat for a little bit. Rain and low thunder rumbling, the power even went out for a few minutes. Contractions were very mild, coming about every 15-20 minutes. 
This is silly, but Grant clipped my toenails for me that morning, and I clipped my fingernails. I don't know why I felt like that needed to be done, but it must've been on my mind. 
Daytime I did a little unpacking upstairs, called mom to give an update. Spent the day mostly hanging out in bed, trying to rest, reading the bible verses I had written on notecards, listening to the rain on the roof and watching the lights flicker. I wasn't sure what to do with my restless mind, and didn't feel like I could accomplish anything worthwhile. Life was on pause. Labor was life now. Once 10 o'clock came around, the stronger contractions started rolling in again.

Wednesday, June 15th. 

Early AM. Neither of us slept. Contractions all through the night. They were strong enough at this point that I needed to pay attention when they came and we whipped out the stop watch to time them. They were almost always 40 seconds long, which I thought was mercifully short, although they came too often to offer me any sleep. I wondered when we would get to the longer ones. I wanted to feel like I had made progress. (Of course I was progressing, and so thankful it was a gradual thing!) When I felt a contraction start I would quick sit up in bed and rock side to side. Moving was definitely my coping method. 

Daytime Contractions ran all through the day, fairly spread out (about 15 minutes) but regular. I didn't feel like eating and wasn't able to rest much. I camped out in our upstairs bedroom, brought my big exercise ball over to my side of the bed and I would rock/bounce through contractions. They were still very manageable and I could talk through them. I didn't like going downstairs to get food because I was afraid that a contraction would come while I was up, and they were much harder to handle while standing up! Grant worked at camp all day. I hung out in bed and tried to watch a Jimmy Stewart movie on Netflix to distract myself. I emailed and called Mom. Erika called to check in with me. I tried to force down some fruit and yogurt. Looking back, I wish I had been able to eat more. I felt absolutely hollow later on.

7:00 pm Talked on the phone with Haley (my twin sister). After our phone call, contractions seemed to pick up. I could tell things were getting started for the night, and maybe this was it. Grant brought me food on a plate but I couldn't seem to make headway with it. I think I ate some apple slices. Grant decided to lay down and try to rest before things got intense. I was starting to get warm so I put on one of Grant's white v-neck tees and some pajama shorts. I remember thinking how funny it felt to go to my closet and pick out the clothes I would labor in. (It was a hurried visit to my closet.)

...to be continued


Kaitlyn Luce said...

Oh...things are getting intense! Yayyy!

EliseBlaha said...

Oh summer, so excited for more... I had no idea you labored at home!!

Anneliese said...

loving rehearing this story! reminds me of how the power went off at our house while i was in labor...now almost TWO years ago.

Amanda said...

I'm grinning with anticipation! Can't wait to hear the rest!

Ang said...

How on earth do you remember such detail?! My little ones are only 20 weeks old and I can barely remember anything about my labor! Loving your story though. :)

A Wife and her Carpenter said...

You sure know how to leave us all hanging! :) I can't wait to hear the rest!

Hannah said...

I was disappointed when this post ended so soon after I'd started reading it! Like Elise, I had no idea you gave birth at home. I'd love to hear more about how you reached that decision - I know a lot of first time mums who liked the idea of home birthing but felt worried about the risk of problems and the not knowing what to expect first time round.
Looking forward to the next installment!

Maggie Mizelle said...

I'm pregnant with my first and planning a home birth as well! I thought the birth story was exciting at first, but now that I know you had the baby at home, I'm doubly (triply?) excited! Thank you SO much for sharing.



about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

old posts