October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween, guys! I feel like there is excitement in the air today, even though I haven't left my house. I suppose it's coming from seeing all your cute costumed kids on instagram and Facebook and pinterest. They all look so adorable. I really love that we're all doing the same sorts of things on this holiday, but I'm probably the most excited about Halloween because it means tomorrow is November. For me, Halloween is the gate we have to push through to get to the holiday season, so I woke up ready to give it a good push. But we might as while celebrate while we're pushing. We're partying tonight with a nostalgic costume for miss Hadley (photo coming tomorrow), a tiny bit of neighborhood door knocking, lots of handing out candy, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, chili, kettle corn, and of course, our Halloween tradition-- homemade Reese's peanut butter cups! (purposely made fresh today so that we aren't tempted to eat the candy going out to the neighborhood kids) I instagrammed a photo of the reese's peanut butter filling in the works last night and had a few friends asking me for the recipe, so I wanted to re-post it here today. It's worth it. And now I know a couple ways to make it even better, so come check it out! These reese's are guilt-free, honey-sweetened, and chock full of good-for-you coconut oil. Oh, and they are crazy delicious.


Homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

peanut butter core
3/4 cup natural peanut butter (just peanuts and salt)
1/4 cup soft coconut oil (or butter)
1/2 cup finely ground sunflower kernels or any type of nut you have on hand
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
2 T. raw honey
pinch of salt

chocolate top
1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1 tsp. pure vanilla
3 T. honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder

OR, this easy method: melt 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips on low heat

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse sunflower kernels or nut of your choice until they become fine crumbs. Add coconut oil, peanut butter, vanilla, honey, and salt to the food processor bowl and pulse until the mixture is well combined. Scoop this mixture into 12 lined muffin cups. Place muffin pan in the freezer. While that's chilling, make the chocolate sauce for the top. In a small pot, over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Turn heat to low and add remaining ingredients. Stir constantly until everything is well combined, then remove from heat. Spoon chocolate sauce over the chilled peanut butter bases and place back in freezer. Freeze for at least 20 minutes, then pop them out of the muffin pan, place in an airtight container, and store them back in the freezer. Keep frozen until ready to eat. Makes 1 dozen big peanut butter cups. 


It's not too late to make these for tonight- they're so quick and easy! Enjoy! Happy Halloween! 
Don't forget to watch Michael Jackson's Thriller music video! It's one of my favorite traditions.


Other Halloween appropriate recipes from my archives: 

6 comments:

Julie said...

These look uh.maz.ing! One question - the 1/2 c coconut oil - is that in solid or liquid form? I never know how it is meant to be measured!

Brooke said...

I tried these the other night to bring for small group bible study and they really are super easy and delicious!! thanks for the recipe!!

Grant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
summer said...

@Julie- I just scoop it out of the tub in solid/soft-ish form into my measuring cup.

kristin said...

yay! i made a version of this in a casserole dish. then i tried to do it as cups, and it did NOT work. excited to try again! wahoo.

emily o. said...

We were sick on Halloween...so I think I'll try these tonight! :)

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts