i hope you liked the glimpse into my new house yesterday. now you can picture where i will curl up and clip magazines, sweep and swiffer the floors, write lists, and fall asleep on grant's shoulder during football games. and you've also seen where i will be taking my photos and writing all the words that go up here. (ps. thanks for the reassuring word about my pillows, nan. i wish you could pop over and see them for yourself. in all honesty, they do look better in real life.)
today i have a great gift to give you. this could change your life. there will be no photography, as i have no oven. you will just have to take me at my words. have faith, my friends.
ten steps to greatness..
grandma's thanksgiving rolls
for leftover turkey sandwiches and for eating plain, smothered with butter.
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, cut into small pieces
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
2 pkgs. or 4 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 c. warm water
2 or 3 beaten eggs (depending on how large they are)
6-7 cups all purpose flour
1. place sugar, butter pieces, and salt in mixer bowl.
2. heat milk until hot enough to melt butter, then pour over sugar, butter, and salt. while milk is cooling, soak yeast in 1 cup warm water (about 5 minutes)
3. when milk mixture is cool, add yeast and 2 or 3 beaten eggs.
4. add 6 cups flour, one cup at a time, beating well after each cup is added. knead (with dough hook) to a soft dough. if dough is too sticky, continue to add flour, 1/4 c. at a time, up to a total of 7 cups.
5. place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let raise until doubled in size. (about 45 minutes)
6. punch down and let raise until doubled again.
7. without punching down, shape dough into rolls by greasing hands and pinching off an egg-sized ball with thumb and forefinger.
8. place on greased cookie sheet and let raise again. before baking, butter fingers and pat each roll down a bit.
9. bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. do not overbake.
10. after removing from oven, butter tops to make a soft crust and let cool 5 minutes on pan.
yields roughly 30 rolls.
make, bake, take. be famous.