i baked these because grant had snack duty for his saturday am class.
and because i have been dying to make them ever since i saw this. shamefully, all of my baking seems to end in selfish logic. i had to have them. and have them i did. i held back 3 from the batch i sent to grant's classmates, and they are long gone. the first day, they were so yummy. but by day 2, after sitting in the fridge, they were phenomenal. after downing two in a row, (you can't eat just one) they took rank in my current top 5 cookies, along with this recent discovery.
Carrot Cake Cookies with cream cheese glaze
adapted from gourmet & abby
3/4 c. plus 1 T. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. plus 1 T. whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 c. plus 2 T. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. plus 2 T. granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coarsely grated carrots (2 medium)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 T. powdered sugar, plus extra if needed
2 T. milk, plus extra if needed to thin glaze
1/4-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees. sift together flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. beat together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla until pale and fluffy, about 2 min.
3. mix in carrot at low speed, then add flour mixture and beat until just combined. chill dough in freezer for 15 minutes.
4. drop 2 T. batter per cookie on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches between cookies. bake until cookies are lightly browned and springy to the touch, 12-16 minutes total. cool on sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks.
5. spoon glaze onto warm cookies and dust with cinnamon if desired. or use glaze to sandwich 2 cookies together for whoopie pies. store in airtight container in the fridge. makes 18 large iced cookies, or 9 jumbo whoopie pies.
this is one of my favorite things: a true cakey cookie. super soft and light. then add the fridge element and you've taken it to a whole new level. each bite is cool and spongy, with a terrific deepened flavor. the texture reminded me of little debbie oatmeal cream pies, but even better, of course.
in all respects, carrot cake cookies included, our weekend was super nice. mostly spent at home, hanging out. there was a lot of nestling on the couch, since it's still cold, gray and gloomy outside. bread was baked and tacos eaten and bathrooms scrubbed and we saw this movie, which i sometimes loved and sometimes let me down. and i even played two video games with grant (i don't play video games). but the biggest news from the weekend is that i got my first taste of the new sewing machine! we worked on tailoring some of grant's dress shirts, which was a nice beginner project. and now my trim guy has more shirts that actually fit him. boy, does he look sharp. and now is my mind stuck on sewing. i've got the urge to do something creative.
am headed out into blogland to hunt for potential sewing projects. see you tues. happy laundry day!