You shouldn't be very happy with me right now. You won't believe how long ago I made this, and how long i've been holding out on you. I stuck it in the freezer, so as to not eat it all in one sitting. It's my latest dessert love.
I'd like to introduce you to chocolate zucchini loaf cake. (I originally called it bread, but that doesn't fit at all. Besides, how cool and rustic is loaf cake? With its thick, square slices.. mm.)
I broke it out to serve to our company last weekend, knowing they would appreciate its chocolatey grandeur and the perfect texture somewhere between brownie and cake. You might appreciate it too, especially if you love a good bite of chocolate like I do.
Chocolate Zucchini Loaf Cake
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3. c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 c. shredded raw zucchini
1/4 c. coconut oil or vegetable oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. raw sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan. Sift together first 7 ingredients. Set aside.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat the oil, applesauce, sugars, eggs, and vanilla for about 2 min.
3. Fold in zucchini, add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 15 min. Then transfer from pan to wire rack and let cool completely. Store in fridge when cool.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Or chilled, with fresh berries.