September 16, 2010
salsatoms
today is farmers market day! judy and i hit the market every thursday morning before we go to preschool. it's a fun little outing. we get our weekly supply of eggs and browse the pretty veggies. last week i splurged on the most perfect pumpkin ever. i like walking the farmers market with judy because she always picks out the good stuff. judy also makes a mean salsa. thanks to her, and the farmers market, this year i finally got up the guts to join the salsa club. it's so simple! basically if you can chop, you can be in the club. you should all join. grant's really excited that i'm a member now.
salsajars
mom judy's salsa
24 medium-size tomatoes
6 green peppers
3 jalapeno peppers (ribs and seeds removed)
2 chili peppers (ribs and seeds removed)
2 medium-size onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. salt
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
chop all and mix together, or you can pulse all in a food processor if you don't care how chunky (or rather not chunky) it is. adjust any ingredient to taste. if your peppers aren't terribly strong, you might want to toss in a few more. grant and i even put in a tiny bit of a habanero! cook in a large pot on high and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam as it forms. simmer for 25 minutes. put into glass jars and store in the fridge.
and if you're interested in canning your salsa.. judy told me that she sometimes runs her glass jars through the dishwasher and while they're still hot from the wash, she pours the hot salsa in and quickly seals the jars. love this idea! canning made easy.
happy thursday, all.
thanks for being okay with this recent flood of recipes. you spoil me.

5 comments:

Miss to Mrs said...

I made this at the beginning of summer when you posted it from camp. I LOVED it and have been eating it all summer. I've tried other recipes, but I think the vinegar in this one gives it that extra zing. I think I'll make some more this weekend. It will be good for football watching.

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe...love all the recipes...keep them coming!
Please, share your good soup ones with us--it's getting to be autumn soup weather here in Vermont!

stephanie said...

Your blog makes me really happy. Thank you for sharing all the great recipes that you do.

Anneliese said...

looks great! i love the dishwasher quick seal idea!

ps. i haven't told you, but i love your tiny quilted jars.

Amanda said...

Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Just the way I like it.

My mother-in-law keeps us in supply of salsa, but maybe next year I'll have to try making my own.

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts