February 7, 2012
pickledjars

Hi guys. If you read my probiotic post the other day, I wanted to mention one more thing. You don't have to be somebody to try fermenting. I used to see the term "lacto-fermented" and immediately thought, okay, that's over my head, that's not me. I was scared. But now I know how easy it is..

1) put something in a jar.  2) let it sit. It's way easier than canning! Do you have some glass jars in your house? great. You're ready to go. I only started fermenting things in November, so I'm no expert, but you can see I already love it. It really is a cinch. Right off the bat, as soon as my first batch of 'kraut was finished, I started eating something probiotic at every meal, and filling my cupboards and countertops with more ferments. It's totally a normal thing now. It's totally my hobby.

If you want to try your hand at it, here's a very simple recipe to start with: pickled carrots. these are completely amazing. crunchy, garlicky, dilly, perfectly pickle-y.. but in a carrot stick. We always keep carrots on hand so it's easy to whip up a new batch, because they go fast.


carrotpickle

Pickled Carrot Sticks

6 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
3 cloves garlic, quartered
1 T. chopped fresh dill, or 1 tsp. dried
1 T. sea salt
1 T. whey (you can use an extra T. of salt if you don't have whey)
filtered water

Place carrot sticks into a quart mason jar and add the rest of the ingredients, shaking gently to settle the carrots if needed. Fill to within 1 inch of the top with filtered water. Cover tightly and allow to sit at room temp for 4-7 days. You can try them at 4 days and see if you want them to be more sour or not; to get them more sour/soft leave them out at room temp longer. Because the carrots are more dense than a classic pickle, they take longer to ferment. They also stay crunchier, which I love.

After fermenting at room temp, store them in the fridge- they last for months!
In my last batch, I added some red pepper flakes for a little pop. Can't wait to try them.

If you're curious, "lacto-fermented" simply means it is fermented with lactic acid, or whey.

12 comments:

Chiara said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try! I have been making yogurt and kefir and I feel ready to start fermenting vegetables. Your posts are always great and inspiring!

Off Label Mama said...

I haven't tried fermenting my own foods yet. I've been wanting to make homemade yogurt though. You make it look easy! Maybe that will nudge me to try it.

Kaitlyn Luce said...

Oh, wow! Carrots? Do they still have a sweetness to them after they've been fermented?

Also, I love that photo with Hadley all blurry in the background. Almost like she's saying "Hey, Mom! I want some, too!"

Cecilia said...

Fabulous! Now I have something to do with my carrots other than bake them into carrot cakes :)

I will seriously try this. I love a good pickle.

Melissa B. said...

Hi there! I've never commented, but I do enjoy your blog! I, too, have always been a little wary of fermenting...both because I wasn't sure I was smart or resourceful enough... and fearful that I would cause my family to die of some scary bacteria-related sickness.

Silly me. I'm now a fermenting crazy person - kraut, ketchup, pickles, water kefir, yogurt, buttermilk, etc., etc. It's so much fun - and I love the idea of fermenting/pickling things I've never really thought of (sky's almost the limit, isn't it?). I have a TON of carrots from the last 2 weeks of our CSA box, so I now know exactly what I'm going to do with them!

Anna said...

I'm so excited to try this recipe! My naturopath wants me to try to add fermented foods to my diet. I haven't started making sauerkraut yet but I bought some. That's the first step!

Nury Martinez said...

Probiotics or beneficial bacteria are great for improving digestive health, plus they could do a whole lot more. When it comes to choosing probiotic supplements, however, do you know what their most important ingredients are?

Certain bacteria have greater powers than others, thus, they are considered superstars that can produce an overwhelming array of health improvements.

Margo said...

Probiotics are safe for kids but are they beneficial? Researchers haven’t done an awful lot of work when it comes to identifying the health benefits that little ones can experience from probiotic supplementation. Still, a couple of clinical studies provide positive results.

Erin said...

Enjoy a few slices of the delicious fruit in the evening, before going to bed. According to the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology, pineapple boosts the release of serotonin and melatonin while you are sleeping.

Melatonin is produced from serotonin and this hormone is responsible for helping humans and other mammals adapt to changing environmental conditions. Its production is also related to higher levels of human growth hormone.

Jim said...

Depression is a serious condition and its detrimental impact should never be underestimated.

If your depression worsens and you can’t escape from the negative thoughts, seek therapy. An experienced therapist will give you the tools to cope with the problem and to conquer your anxiety.

You don’t need a partner to start going to counseling. If there is a significant other that wants to participate – great! Even if you’re currently single, you should consider therapy to restore your emotional balance.

لمار للتسويق الالكتروني said...

افضل شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط

لمار للتسويق الالكتروني said...

افضل دينا نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
افضل شركة المهاجر الدولي نقل عفش واثاث بخميس مشيط خميس مشيط
افضل شركات شحن بخميس مشيط
افضل نقل عفش من خميس مشيط للرياض
افضل شركة تخزين اثاث بخميس مشيط
افضل شركه نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط
افضل دينا لنقل العفش بخميس مشيط

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts