May 15, 2012
(it's not my birthday. it happened a few weeks ago, but it's never too late to talk about cake.)

I spend an inordinate amount of time collecting recipes that could possibly be my birthday cake. This year I picked a classy, grown-up german chocolate. A true german chocolate with the coconut pecan stuff that I used to think was so gross only grown-ups could stomach it. Of course now, I think it's pretty amazing.


Although I had some dietary restrictions to consider, I was determined my cake wouldn't be abused. It would not be "health food." I wanted to keep it simple, with familiar ingredients. That's the way to a realfood dessert that doesn't disappoint. The result was this naturally sweet, grain-free tower of chocolate that you would never know wasn't totally "normal." I can honestly say it's my favorite birthday cake yet! Completely indulgent. Even people other than me can testify to this. 


I baked the rich cake in 2 extra-thick layers, drizzled it with velvety smooth chocolate syrup, and stacked them together with sticky, nutty, sweet coconut pecan goodness. Then I put it all into the fridge to chill, because in my house, cake will be served cold.
What kind of cake will you pick for your next birthday?
Okay, this recipe looks forever long! But it feels very simple when you're actually doing it.

German Chocolate Coconut Cake
grain free. makes one 9-inch round or 2 smaller rounds.

6 T. coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
5 eggs (room temp, if you can)
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup crushed dates

Combine dry ingredients and chocolate chips in a small bowl and sift well. Using a hand mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, oil, honey and dates. Add dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and blend well. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan or 2 smaller round baking dishes. I used some 4-cup glass pyrex dishes that we usually put leftovers in. Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until center is just set (it will still be a bit loose/wiggly). Do not over bake. Allow cake to cool, then remove from pan and pile the coconut pecan topping on top of cooled cake. If you're really look for the lap of luxury, feel free to make the chocolate sauce to drizzle on top of cake, or use as a garnish when serving individual pieces.

Coconut Pecan Topping
1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup crushed dates*
2-3 T. coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
In a small bowl or the bowl of a food processor, combine dates with coconut and pecans and a bit of coconut oil and salt. Feel free to play around with the amounts to fit the taste and texture you're looking for.
*To make the crushed dates, here's what I do: put a 4 or 5 ounce package of dates into a small pot with about 1/2 inch of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. It doesn't really matter how long, just gets them a bit soft. Put into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.


** Summer's Dairy-Free Chocolate Sauce, optional
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 T. cocoa
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
2 T. honey or maple syrup
While cakes are cooling, combine chocolate sauce ingredients in a 1 or 2 cup measuring glass and place in a pot of simmering water. Heat, stirring, until everything is melted and well combined. Spoon sauce over cooled cakes, with lots of poked holes.

8 comments:

Christina said...

That sounds yummy! I'm thinking that my next birthday cake will be a ginger cake with salted caramel sauce that I saw on Pinterest just the other day. Yum! Either that or a concoction made from layers of chocolate cake and mint frosting topped with ganach. Yum! good thing I still have several months to decide! ; )

Laura said...

I can't wait to make this for my husband! He has to avoid refined sugar and white flour, so this is p.e.r.f.e.c.t.

Hannah said...

My mouth actually watered as I read that recipe. I would definitely like to try this cake!

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

German chocolate cake is my fave -this looks delectable!

nataliep. said...

i was hoping for this recipe the first time i saw you holding this cake in your birthday picture. looks delish!

Muriel Stone said...

“it's not my birthday… but it's never too late to talk about cake”— It surely is, Summer. It’s a sin not to talk about how delicious they are! Haha! Thanks for posting!

Muriel @SmithIslandCake.com

Jennie S. said...

This wasAMAZING! I made a double recipe and baked it in a 9x13 glass dish sines we had 13 to feed. I made the topping per instructions (dates were soft so just added a little water to the processor instead or cooking them) and topped it all with a little more coconut and pecans, minus the choc sauce. We LOVED IT! Thanks for sharing! My only lament is that I forgot to add the choc chips till the cake was in the oven so I just sprinkled them on top. They were good, but would have bee way better mixed in! Thanks!

David said...

Thanks for sharing amazing recipe on how to make German Chocolate cake. I will definitely try in my home and post my views. Anyway I wish you a very very Happy Birthday to you and Birthday Wishes fill the life with joy and blessings.

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

old posts