August 27, 2012
I can see my mom. Standing at the kitchen counter. It's summertime and she's making deep cuts into the peachy-orange middle of a melon. Eating it right out of its shell. I can also see myself- a girl being offered a bite. I take the bite and make a pitiful effort to like it. I decide that melon isn't my favorite, and I go on thinking that for years. And years later....


This August, I fell in love.
It happened at the farmers market. At the table of my favorite vendor, where I shelled out 3 pocket-worn dollar bills and was handed a fat, ripe, fragrant melon. I was told to eat it later that day, because that's when it would be at its best. Later, I sliced it open and was blown away. The smell. It was incredible. It filled the whole kitchen. I stuck a spoon into it and sure enough, it was the best.

And the best way to eat it, of course, is to
1) chill it.
2) halve it with a thick knife.
3) sprinkle with a little sea salt.
4) and dig in with a spoon. no bowl necessary.
Musk melon! Why must they call it MUSK? it reminds me of old lady perfume or a musty basement or mothballs... anyway. I'm just going to call it a melon. And this month's snack is totally salted melon.

What's been your August snack? 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

In Indiana we call these Cantaloupes. And they're my favourite kind of melon.

Anonymous said...

i would call it cantaloupe, too! (which typing out, is a very funny word.)

Anneliese said...

(were you shocked to get a comment from shawn?! we have been using the same computer so i am not used to signing in & out of gmail!) oops! :)

summer said...

@Anneliese YES! i was wondering if that was you! :) and that is a weird word to type. "loupe" ??

@Jennifer we have cantaloupes, too- the cantaloupes are the perfectly round ones and muskmelon have grooves like a pumpkin! they have a more mellow sweetness and softer flesh than cantaloupe.

Meredith @ lakyn + judah said...

i can't get enough blackberries this month! it's a problem.

PS - i LOVE your blog! :)

sarah {on the brightside...} said...

That melon does look perfect... yumm!! This month I have been loving peaches!! :)

Christina said...

Oh, yum! That looks amazing. This summer I've been loving blueberries and clif bars, but not necessarily together. : )

Renee said...

oh..you must try it with pepper as well!! Grandma always had her melon with pepper...and, like you watching me, i watched her in disgust! But...one day tried it! lOVE IT!

i dare you!

Sharon said...

We've been eating a lot of canteloupe (or was it muskmelon?) and plums this month.

Michelle said...

sounds perfect!

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts