March 21, 2013

We got a juicer last year, but I never really ventured further than carrots, celery, apples, and oranges. Which are all realllly yummy. I didn't know I could like celery so much. Anyway, about a month or so ago, we watched Hungry for Change, another documentary about food stuff, but we always enjoy those. :) It's on Netflix if you want to see it. If you have any interest in juicing, which we did, you'll probably feel like getting up off the couch and making yourself a big glass after you watch it. Grant started juicing with me after that, and things have gotten way more exciting than apples and oranges. Now our juice usually has a mix of cucumbers, radishes, carrots, parsley, spinach or kale or collard greens, celery, fresh aloe vera, oranges, chia seeds, possibly pineapple, and my favorite ingredient of all.... cilantro. I knew I loved cilantro in guacamole and in rice salad and on top of stuffed acorn squash, but I had no idea it would add so much to a glass of juice! It's crazy. The cilantro gives the juice an extra layer of flavor, a kind of sweetness. If you make your own juice, you might already know about this "it" factor. But in case you didn't know, this is it. Cilantro. 



Our juicer is an inexpensive Black & Decker that I picked because I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it. It works just fine, although the feed chute is very small and we have to do quite a bit of chopping beforehand. If you rinse it off right away after using it, the clean up is easy and fast. Now that we are a juicing almost daily, we may think about upgrading to a more heavy duty machine, although we've been using it pretty heavily for an entry-level juicer and it's still doing the job. We probably don't know what we're missing with a fast and powerful machine. Do you guys have a juicer that you like? It's tough to know whether or not to invest because who knows how long this juicing phase will last... We do love it. But we may have to stretch our grocery budget to handle all those pounds of vegetables. :)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try this on my own! I love it with fish tacos and in guacamole, but it seems too strong for juice! I'll have to tap into my adventurous streak (and maybe make the Boy try a sip of it first)!

Christina said...

Have you heard of Bountiful Baskets Co-ops? You should see if there's one near you. It makes the fruit-and-veggie budget go a LOT further. Plus it's a great way to try new things!

nataliep. said...

i love juicing, too! we have a Jack Lalanne juicer. it has really great power and a huge pulp collector. i try to save the pulp leftovers and use them in other recipes, veggies soups, broth and i have yet to try falafels with them. the juicer came with a recipe book for the pulp. i will definitely be trying cilantro, too!

Whitney Lane said...

Never tried cilantro - such a good idea!

We have a Champion juicer and LOVE it. It's powerful enough to make peanut butter from scratch, or we love to put frozen bananas or mango through it to make sorbet!

Organic Noni Juice said...

Carrots are my most favorite juice ingredients. It doesn't matter which fruit juice I'm going to have, I mix 3-4 carrots in it for sure. Anyways, there are many other fruit juices which are even healthier than carrot juice. Thank you for sharing this article. I enjoyed reading it.

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts