January 16, 2014
Hey guys! While I spend time with baby Casper, I have a few recipes ready to share with you. I'm so thankful to my sweet, amazing mother-in-law for providing meals for our family this week while I'm healing! I haven't had to think about food since last Saturday. Thank you, Judy! 

Before Casper was born, I started making a list of some easy dinners to keep in mind for this newborn stage. Happily, Grant is a great cook and knows how to make a lot of our usual meals (stir fry, soups, tacos, curry over rice, roasted chicken and veggies, gf spaghetti, etc.) so he will probably be our chef for a little while. This crockpot meal is fast and simple and so comforting! Just stir it all together in the crockpot and let it do its thing. It's made with rice so it's gluten free, and if you don't garnish it with the parmesan before serving, also dairy free. 


Slow Cooker Chicken & Rice

1/2 a yellow onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 tsp. of your favorite seasonings (rosemary, sage, thyme, etc)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
splash of red wine vinegar
*optional: grated parmesan cheese for serving

Grease the inside of the slow cooker. Put the onion, garlic, and chicken into the slow cooker. In a small pot, stir together the broth, rice, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Pour the rice and broth over the mixture in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. About 20 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas and the chopped mushrooms, and cook until they are heated through. Sprinkle a bit of red wine vinegar over the top and serve warm. 


0 comments:

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts