May 22, 2014


Good morning, guys! I've got some seriously yummy muffins for you to try. Nutty, spicy, and just the right amount of sweet. They're gluten and dairy free, honey sweetened, and very simple. I combined 2 kinds of flour -- rice and coconut -- for a muffin that is slightly dense like quick bread, but still tender and bready. And you can do it all in one bowl! And if you're wondering how I have 2 free hands to be baking while there's a 4-month-old in my arms and an almost 3-year-old at my side, here's the answer: I mixed the batter in the crucial hour after the babies went to bed and woke up early to bake them the next morning. Extra effort = extra yumminess, right? They were worth it, let me tell you. And I just couldn't let some perfectly brown bananas go to waste!


Honey Banana Pecan Muffins
gluten and dairy free

4 over-ripe bananas, mashed well 
4 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 cup honey 
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt, heaping
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
optional -- 1 T. raw sugar + 1/4 tsp. cinnamon for topping

In a small pot over low heat, melt the coconut oil and let cool for a minute. In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, honey, melted oil, and vanilla. Sift coconut flour into the bowl (I pour mine through a strainer to catch and toss out any clumps) and add in remaining dry ingredients and pecans. Blend well. Fill 12 muffin cups with the batter (I like to use a cookie scoop to do this), sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if using, and bake at 350ยบ for 20 to 25 minutes.

How I like to eat them -- Cut warm muffins in half and smear soft coconut oil into the middles. Possibly add a pinch of sea salt. :)



1 comments:

Vicki Haley said...

These look delicious! I think they would be great for an after-school snack. Thank you for sharing:)

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts