January 31, 2013
 

My guilty pleasure is chips and guac. Yours, too? We are the same! I just knew it! Even on a day like today, where it's 20, 30... 40* below zero, I'm going to have some this afternoon. It's such a nice winter day pick-me-up. Who wants to join me? But I have to warn you about something. Something weird. If we ever happen to sharing a bowl of guac... get ready. 

I like to put raw apple cider vinegar in my guacamole, instead of lemon or lime juice. 

I know! Gross? Some of you hate vinegar and I probably won't win you over. But I take after my grandmas. I love vinegar! Not just any vinegar, my favorite is raw apple cider vinegar like this. Mmmm. It's like tangy magic. Around here, it's a known fact that I'll stir some into my soup, pour a smidge into a smoothie, I like to add it to my banana bread for a buttermilky taste, and yes, it goes in our guac. I dare you to try it. It adds a new level of flavor, tanginess! So delicious.

Here are the other components of my perfect bowl of guacamole: 
  • sea salt
  • minced garlic
  • chopped red onion
  • cilantro

What's your guacamole secret? 

In other news, I've been getting so many requests from you guys about making memory verse cards for The 50 Promises! Thank you so much. You'll be happy to hear that I am working on getting the cards stocked in the shop as fast as I can! I'll keep you posted and let you know as soon as they are available. :)


10 comments:

Josie said...

the perfect guac recipe - i'm think you the simpler the better and ALWAYS red onion..

Jules said...

Not strange at all. I use raw apple cider vinegar, but only when I am out of the raw coconut vinegar. Have you tried it? I LOVE it. I put it in my water, tacos, guacamole...anything, really. (I use ACV in my water when I'm out of coconut vinegar.)

Christina said...

My avocados never make it into guacamole because after spending four years of my childhood in Brazil where avocados are FRUIT and therefore SWEET, I prefer them in smoothies, mashed with a tiny bit of sweetener or even just plain. Mmmmm...

Tesa said...

We just ate a huge bowl of guac at lunch today!! I scored a steal of a deal on avocados last weekend so I purchased a huge bag and have been eating them with wreckless abandon. I've never thought to use ACV in guac. My latest technique is super simple: just mash with a bit of sea salt and a clove or two of garlic (more or less garlic depending on who is sharing with me~ hubby and I like lots, the kids just a bit). mmmmmm.

Emma said...

I just tried this and it was delicious! I am a big fan of ACV, I have it in tea, salads, smoothies - everything! But it never occured to me to add it to guac. Thanks for sharing, I will be doing this from now on! :)

p.s: I know I'm a little late, but I love your new design! :)

Laura @FoodSnobSTL said...

I NEVER would of thought of adding apple cider vinegar to guacamole. I usually just do garlic salt and lime juice. I'm willing to give this a try though!

Nicole said...

Sounds interesting. I don't really mind vinegar and use it all the time making my own dressings. I have some avocados at home right now so I think I'll give this a try.

Toi said...

Our secret for guac is a pinch of cinnamon and just a little bit of pickle relish. It's my husband's doing. I never thought I would like it, but his guac is one of the multitudes of reasons I married him!

Toi said...

I guess I should have edited that to say, that we use a pinch of cinnamon and a little pickle relish along with cilantro, onion, garlic and jalepeno. I don't want anyone to think I'm the crazy lady who eats avacado, cinnamon and relish!

Pupuk Cabe Rawit said...

looks so tasty, <3 <3

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts