January 16, 2013

  1. Your response to 50 Promises! Thank you guys for being excited and jumping on this with me. How is #1 going? Is it memorized yet? My notecard is in my kitchen window :) 
  2. A new project in progress... I'm making memory verse cards for a sweet mum in Brussels!
  3. Our Christmas decorations are still up. (!!!) For some random reason January 17th is our day to take them down. (tomorrow! oh noooo!) 
  4. Ghee. Yummmmm. I've been dying to try this stuff for a long time because I've heard people rave about it and Grant put a jar of it in my stocking at Christmas! It's. so. good. I fry my eggs in it and they are insane. I even left a video review for them on amazon and got a $25 amazon gift card :) So now there are two more jars of ghee headed my way!
  5. Date planned for Friday night. Playdate planned for tomorrow at my house. I'm making lunch! 
  6. Being busy. Lately every night as we head upstairs for bed, Grant and I say oh, wouldn't it be so nice if we didn't need sleep? At that point in the evening we both feel we could stay up all night and get things done and it would be so awesome! But of course we go to bed early, because that really is awesome. Anyway, my to do list is brimming. New things are coming at me left and right- I'm so thankful. Thank you guys who contact me with your fun orders and projects!!
  7. A new hat with a pom pom.
  8. Sense & Sensibility. I'm reading the iBooks version while I use the treadmill at the gym.
  9. How Hadley runs everywhere, sorts everything, stacks everything, sits at her desk to "work," and is blissed out when I mention getting a clementine from the fridge. 
  10. That Grant's basketball season is slowing down.
  11. We're halfway through January! 
  12. That it's Downton Abbey season. I love knowing I have an episode on my dvr to enjoy in the quiet evening. It's like dessert- for an hour. 
  13. 8 degree weather. (aka staying inside and dressing in many layers)
  14. Tazo Passion tea. My friend served me this when I came to bring her dinner. Isn't she sweet?
  15. My sister-in-law's yummy handmade soap. Orange ginger!
  16. This soup. I've never been a huge fan of how chewy kale is- it takes so long for me to eat it because it's pretty tough stuff. But kale in soup... now that's smart. And soft. I like everything about this soup! I've devoted every lunch in January to it. 


Creamy Sausage & Kale Soup
1 T. butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 tsp. sea salt
4 cups homemade chicken broth
1 or 2 cups cooked acorn squash
1 T. spicy mustard
1 bunch of kale, washed, stems removed, and torn into bite size pieces
1/2 lb. beef sausage or ground beef, or both
(I didn't have any authentic sausage so I used some ground beef and 2 of these)
cooked rice, optional
butter, ghee, or coconut oil for topping

I never measure when I make this soup, I just go with what my fridge shelves have to offer. Feel free to adjust things to taste!

Heat butter/ghee/oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onion until translucent, then add all other ingredients, except the rice. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn it all the way down to simmer and put the lid on. Let simmer for at least 25 minutes, or until kale is soft, but you can let it go as long as you like! Stir in cooked rice at the end. Serve with an extra pat of butter or ghee on top. 




3 comments:

Kelli said...

I printed off the 50 Promises...I just love it! I adore your listing and your thankfulness. Downton Abbey...I can't get enough.

Estee Renee said...

I love TAZO passion tea in the summertime, too! I brew half passion/half black and serve iced! Fabulous tea combo that I learned from a Starbucks barista!

Anonymous said...

So many great things on this list : ) Love that hat! And I'm a fan of that passion tea too. Isn't ghee wonderful?? I can't make it fast enough to keep up in our house!
p.s. Thanks again for the list of promises! We're going through Genesis (full of the Lord fulfilling His promises) at BSF, so this is perfect : )

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts