November 6, 2013

Yesterday afternoon, it started snowing. The first snow of the season! We wanted to show Hadley the snow before she went to bed last night and see if she remembered it. And when we woke up this morning, the backyard looked like this:


So cozy! It's the perfect day to stay in our slippers and leggings, play with construction paper, and eat brunch. We're having fried eggs, sauerkraut, roasted zucchini, and pumpkin cake. But if I had a little more time (we're already hungry here), I'd definitely make this quiche. I'm craving it again. 


A few weeks ago my twin sister was here for a visit and I made quiche for Saturday breakfast. Actually, I made it late Friday night while she ate a sandwich at my table, and our babies were sleeping soundly in their beds, and our husbands were out shooting Nerf guns with a bunch of boys. Then I just had to pop it in the oven on Saturday morning. This is my go-to quiche recipe and the easiest breakfast to make for company if you already have a pie crust in your freezer, which I did! I found some kinnikinnick gluten-free pie shells in the freezer section at our grocery store and they're really yummy. I have one left that I'm saving either for chicken pot pie or a pumpkin pie.

Sister visits are so nice. Your sister will sit up late with you and talk about your childhood, your baby, your current bible study, your stage of life, and the latest news from high school friends on Facebook. She'll drink tea and watch Love Actually on your couch. She'll let you scroll through her Instagram roll. She'll huddle around the iPad with you and watch Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon videos. She'll sit on the floor with the kids while you clean up the dishes. She will laugh with you while you eat a whole chocolate bar in one sitting. Sisters are just the best. Oh, and, sisters give you a reason to wake up and bake a quiche.


Quiche with Kale & Caramelized Onion

5 beaten eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella, or monterey jack
one 9-inch pie shell -- I used this gluten-free crust
veggie fillings of your choice -- I used sautéed kale and caramelized onions, my other favorites are green onion, spinach, leeks, asparagus, or bell peppers

The night before: Sauté veggies and set aside to cool, then cover and refrigerate. In a small bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cheese. Cover and store in the fridge.

The morning of: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread veggie fillings in the base of the pie shell, then pour egg mixture over the top. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until center is firm. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

The snow is so pretty! I love the first snowfall!

Unknown said...

Do you make the quiche with the crust in your cast iron pan? I'm intrigued by cast iron pans... planning on getting one, soon!

Anonymous said...

Coming back a second time because this is a great recipe. Our kale and onions fresh from the garden mixed with the hens fresh eggs make it a yummy dinner. We added a few shakes of Cajun spices because we like that, too.

bristol plasterers said...

This sounds really delicious and something new to try. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon

Unknown said...

This quiche is absolutely delicious!

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts