January 22, 2014

Hey guys, this soup is a favorite of ours from a couple years ago. I think I posted about it awhile back but wanted to post it again, just in case you missed it. It's too good to miss.

Chicken + Lentil Chili

2 T. olive or coconut oil
1/2 an onion, chopped
2-4 Anaheim or poblano chilies, chopped and seeds removed
1 or 2 jalapeƱo peppers, chopped and seeds removed
1 T. sea salt*
1 tsp. cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 cups homemade chicken broth** (I pour in enough to fill my pot 1/2 full)
1 lb. bag of lentils, soaked or sprouted (how to sprout lentils)
3 or 4 chicken breasts (I pop mine in the pot still frozen)

Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and chilies when the oil is hot, and cook for a few minutes until the onion is tender. Add the salt, cumin, and garlic and stir for a minute more. Pour in the broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Add lentils and chicken breasts when it's boiling, turn the heat to low, and let simmer 40 minutes or as long as you like. Snatch chicken breasts out, shred, and return to the pot. Ladle into bowls and enjoy while it's steamy. Serve with avocado, cilantro, monterey jack cheese, sour cream, or yogurt. It's even good room temperature, too.

*I add a full tablespoon of sea salt because my chicken broth is homemade and doesn't have any salt added to it. If you're using store bought broth, you won't need as much salt. 

**To make super easy homemade broth: Pick all the meat off of a whole roasted chicken. Place chicken bones in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, skim off any scum, and turn down to low. Let simmer overnight. In the morning, strain and store it in the fridge until you're ready to make soup. 

4 comments:

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

This recipe has become a staple over here. So delicious. I like to make a pot and eat it for lunch all week long. My son loves having "ice cream" in his soup too.

jessankney said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to try this tonight. I didn't have peppers on hand, so I added chili powder and cayenne as well as a jar of homegrown chopped tomatoes. Will be sure to share the results!

Kandace said...

I found this a year or so ago and it is definitely a staple in our house now too. It was our first experience with lentils and now is a favorite. Absolutely delicious and SO easy! Thank you!

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts