April 20, 2010
ocmcake

chocolate + orange. they make a good team. and just think.. chocolate orange marble cake. yes, such a thing exists. and it's sensational. we served this to a bunch of already-stuffed guests and still got raves. i love it good and cold, as i do with almost every dessert. it would also be yummy as a traditional chocolate cake, just skip the orange batter. the hint of orange would be subtle enough, but it would still keep a tinge of fruity. mm.

ocmcake4

Chocolate Orange Marble Cake
adapted from christina

chocolate batter
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 T. oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 T. orange zest
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup + 2 T. flour (add an extra 2 T. if at a high alt.)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

1. sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt. set aside.
2. beat butter, sugar, and egg together until smooth.
3. add vanilla, sour cream, oil, orange juice, and zest. mix until well combined.
4. add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

orange batter
repeat chocolate batter ingredients, but omit cocoa and use 1 cup + 1 1/2 T. flour.
follow above instructions for mixing, omitting cocoa.

make the cake
1. butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. pour half of chocolate batter into each pan, spreading to cover the bottom.
2. put orange batter on top in spoonfuls, spreading carefully and evenly out to the edges.
3. swirl the two batters together, avoid scraping the bottom of the pan
4. bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Decadent Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting recipe in this post.


right now a bird is singing outside and i can hear it perfectly. how nice. it feels like spring.
some goals for today.. find a little birthday present for twin sis, make the kitchen sparkle, get hairspray off the bathroom floor, enjoy the 70 and sunny, and more.

5 comments:

ChelseaF said...

YUMMMYYYY!!!! And I don't even really go for cake... :)

Amanda said...

Yum. If you opened up a bakery, I'd be first in line.

Last night, I was making homemade tortillas with my Chad, and we had leftover shortening. I said to him "I'll just use it when I start baking pies like Summer". You are an example wife.

Jules said...

Your pictures are amazing. I know I am supposed to say something about the cake, but that picture of the orange and chips is just top notch.

Anonymous said...

that looks so yummy!! and i had no idea you had a twin!

Christina said...

Hooray! I can't tell you how tickled I am to see one of "my" recipes on your blog.

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts