October 19, 2010

yesterday afternoon i decided i was baking biscuits. i just did it. i didn't soak any flour for them. (i'll admit, i wanted them ready in 20 minutes, instead of 20 hours.) i used all purpose flour. (i probably could have added some wheat, but i just wanted them to be how i remember them.) i didn't use a biscuit cutter. i didn't even use a rolling pin. i didn't do anything proper. i just wanted some good plain biscuits, with as little hassle as possible.

and let me tell you. they were sooooo yummy. worth dirtying up a counter in the middle of the day. worth splurging on. next time you need a quick baking fix, make these buttermilk biscuits! (who needs bisquick?) i eat mine hot off the pan, with butter. grant eats his with a bit of strawberry jam, too. i'll give you the full recipe, but yesterday i made a half batch and it made 8 nicely sized biscuits, plenty for the two of us.

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 to 2 tablespoons milled flax
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter (i did half butter, half coconut oil)
2/3 cup buttermilk (or milk and vinegar)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400. Sift together flour, flax, baking soda and powder, and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture. With a fork, mix in the buttermilk, combining just until moistened. With your hands, work dough into a ball and press to a 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured counter. Brush with melted butter. Transfer to pan and use a knife to cut rustic rectangular biscuits. Or using a biscuit cutter or drinking glass, cut into rounds and arrange on pan. (leaving the biscuit sides touching will help them rise better.) Bake 10 minutes and eat immediately! 



enjoy your tuesday.
i'm spending mine next to my cider candle, listening to ella fitzgerald on grooveshark.

ps. thank you all so very much for letting me pick your brains on pilates!! i loved the comments and helpful suggestions that came in, and am feeling really pumped to give it a go. you're the best! 

10 comments:

Cherish Stockdale said...

those biscuits look delicious! I like how they are rustic not cookie cutter.

Hannah said...

Buttermilk biscuits are my favorite! I remember they were the first think I learned to make in my high school cooking class. Nothing more basic or perfect. I love them. Yours look fantastic!

Kelli said...

Oh how I love buttermilk biscuits! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm glad you cooked them on a whim :)

Christina said...

That sounds soooo yummy!

Miss to Mrs said...

It's just mean to talk about homemade biscuits and strawberry jam while I'm stuck in an office building! I think in heaven all you eat is hot biscuits and jam. That is one of my all time favorite foods. I can't wait to try this recipe!

Renee said...

i too, love a good buttermilk biscuit! my fave has to be warm...enough to melt the butter, and topped with honey! yum! thanks for the reminder of how easy they are to whip up!

carol said...

mmmmmm! this looks SO yummy!! :)

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I have a serious weakness for biscuits...

Anonymous said...

I made these biscuits tonight to accompany our chicken tetrazzini. They were oh so tasty and fast to put together. I love breads that are quick to get on the table. Thanks.

Bethany said...

I am way late to this post, but I recently discovered how much I love buttermilk. Seriously, I might take up drinking it. I use the buttermilk bread recipe from the camp cookbook all the time and I have a fantastic recipes for buttermilk pancakes and buttermilk crispy chicken. But, the really exciting thing is how easy it is to make buttermilk. So much easier than yogurt even. Just put a little buttermilk in a glass jar, fill with milk, shake, and leave out overnight. Viola! Buttermilk! You'll never have to buy it again.

Sorry, that's long. But I get excited about buttermilk

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts