I woke up early and excited this morning, of course, because today is my birthday! And I want to wish a very happy birthday to my awesome twin sister, Haley! It still blows me away that we were in the womb together. Insane.
The night before my birthday I like to straighten the house, empty the kitchen sink, fold my clothes neatly, and generally do all the things. So I did that last night. I think it's my attempt at a "perfect" day- where all the work is done the night before. :) Birthdays just make me want to get all my affairs in order. Anyway, now that I'm sitting here at the desk, things are in order, and it's the morning of my birthday, I just want it to last and last. But since that won't happen, I'm going to record what's going on and where I'm at in life right now. A real diary entry. I hope I can think of things that I will laugh about someday.
- My hair is longish, layered, and no bangs. My nails are a minty turquoise color, and so are my toenails.
- Signs of aging: I wear inserts in my tennis shoes. I take supplements and get lots of sleep. I weigh less than I did in high school. I look different than my wedding pictures. And I've forgotten almost all of my foreign language vocab/grammar. (See also: what I did with an afternoon off and what I may use my birthday money on. Found below.)
- This week I have been wondering about getting bangs again. I've been showing Grant pictures of possibilities.
- I have my slippers and black leggings on. Which has been my daily wear this entire winter.
- My day started out with a reading a devotional with Grant in bed, texting my twin, then rescuing a soaked toddler from her crib and popping her in the tub, then a phone call from Mom and Grandma.
- I ate a birthday breakfast of orangey pancakes and eggs.
- We're going to be living and working at Camp Shetek again this summer! Praise the Lord!
- I recently bought some clothes on Instagram, my first ever #closetsale purchases.
- There's more school on the horizon for Grant!
- We're refinancing our house on Thursday. We still only have one car and we still have stock in Apple.
- My little shop has been fun, fun. It's still going strong! We just had to re-order more 50 Promises. And I'm daydreaming up a new set of memory cards for the future.
- It's snowing!!! It has never snowed on my birthday before! They're predicting 4 inches today and 2 more inches tonight!
- Possibly spending some birthday money on... a 5 lb. bag of sprouted rolled oats, magnesium oil, a good maxi skirt, or new sunglasses. I'm part foodie, part old lady, and part twenty-something with a soft spot for Target.
- I just had to get my 3rd drivers' license since moving to Minnesota 5 years ago.
- Hadley is so cool. She has the heartiest laugh you've ever heard from someone her size. She knows almost all the letters of the alphabet. She likes to say "Is that a DUCK?!" Right now she is playing with an animal sounds app on the iPad.
- We're "going out" to celebrate my birthday this weekend, since it is going to be snowy tonight and any restaurant worth going to is far, far away. (Plus, it's a school night.)
- When we get to the city this weekend, we'll probably do some thrifting, eat some coconut fried bananas at The Brazilian Grill, and see a movie.
- I'm debating between making tacos or curry for my b-day dinner tonight, also trying to decide between birthday cake or cookies.
- Grant gave me the afternoon off this past Saturday as part of my birthday gift. I used the time to clean the bathrooms, dust for cobwebs, soak in the tub, paint my nails, make cookies, and practice the piano. I like a good mix of work and play. (It's amazing how fast you can be when you're the only one in your house. I was racing up and down steps and flying through my to-do list.)
- I cannot wait to go out to the mailbox today.
- The Lord is teaching me. About loving Him best. About nibbling at the table of the world. About taking refuge in Him and what it means to "fear" Him. About today's mercies being for today's troubles. And most of all, about how He keeps us from the "pit", in our case this has meant a place of complacency, pride, and self-reliance that would lead to a wasted life.
- It's been a great year; the Lord has saved us greatly. And I only hope that I can love Him better than all of His good gifts to me throughout my life.
(It was so bright out!)
P.S. Because it's my birthday, and because I love you guys, and because I think designing blog headers is super fun, and because we're still snowed inside.... Blog Headers are going ON SALE! This week, a custom blog header is only $15. Yay! $15 for a custom blog banner designed specially for you, by me, where I provide at least 3 design options for you to choose from. Email me if you're interested! summer.harms@gmail or use the contact form in my shop.