next time you see zucchini at the farmers' market.. and you don't want to do something like this, here's what you can do. it's just as yummy. i promise.
Zucchini Red Onion Flatbread
adapted from bon appetit, and found by my sis-in-law, heidi
1 batch of your favorite pizza dough
3/4 cup cream cheese
to taste: dill, pepper, garlic salt, italian seasoning, etc.
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 small red onion, cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
1 zucchini (yellow or green), cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
3 T. chopped fresh parsley or your favorite herbs
1. chop veggies. prepare dough. preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. combine cream cheese with dill, garlic salt, and other desired seasonings.
3. brush a large baking sheet with olive oil, and stretch dough out in the pan.
4. spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough, sprinkle with parmesan.
5. arrange 1 row of zucchini slices down 1 long side of the dough. arrange onion rounds in a row alongside zucchini. repeat until all is used. brush vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with s + p.
6. bake until puffy and golden brown, about 24 minutes. sprinkle with fresh herbs.
all of the kitchen girls are obsessing over this. me, included. we would make it every day if it were okay with the campers. when i get home from camp in august, some friday night, i'm going to bake this instead of pizza. and i'm going to eat more than my fair share.