February 20, 2014

Oh my word. I'm so excited to post this one. You know how every once in awhile you find a new favorite way to eat chicken? Like a whole roasted chicken with plenty of rosemary, or chicken in a ginger lime stir fry, or lemon garlic chicken drumsticks, or a really good chicken salad... well, here's my new favorite chicken meal. And heads-up: this a man-pleasing dish right here. I made this for Grant on Valentine's Day. He loves it. And I love that it's so easy. If you guys were coming over to my house, I'd make this chicken for you, and serve it with some buttery brown rice and roasted brussels sprouts. And I think we would be best friends forever!

This was one of the meals my mother-in-law brought to us right after Casper was born and we fell in love. I couldn't wait to start making it myself! Thanks for introducing us to the beauty of maple + mustard, Judy. Guys, make this one tonight.


Maple Mustard Chicken
adapted from this recipe

6 to 8 chicken thighs
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup yellow mustard
3 T. maple syrup
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 or 2 green onions, chopped (both green and white parts)

Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Place chicken thighs in a single layer in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, maple syrup, and red wine vinegar. Pour the maple mustard sauce over the chicken and flip each piece until fully coated with the mixture. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Slice the chicken and plate it, spooning over any extra sauce left in the pan. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve with rice or salad.

I highly recommend serving this chicken with roasted brussels sprouts, as it makes a meal that's practically perfect in every way. The maple mustard sauce goes so incredibly well with the sprouts!

11 comments:

Laura Murphy said...

This is similar to a recipe I used to make all the time, using a whole cut-up chicken, mustard, and honey. I like the idea of maple syrup though, and I love the addition of vinegar. I've been adding a dollop of balsamic vinegar to all my soups, usually when I saute the onions at the beginning.

Enjoy another cozy day at home! We are. It's a cookie-making, piano-playing, book-reading kind of day here. Storm's a'coming.

Anneliese said...

ok! i will be making it tonight!

emily o. said...

YUM! Getting ingredients for this at the store tonight :)

nicole said...

i am totally making this...everything I need is in the fridge. Thanks.

[eeny] said...

sounds so good. adding it to my menu for next week right about now.

Laura Railing said...

I just had regular vinegar but subbed that and it was super tasty. Thank you for posting this!!!

Ang said...

Got on here to find a recipe for tonight ...done and done! Thanks for figuring out dinner, Summer - your recipes are always a hit around here! ;)

Melissa B. said...

Summer, I've never commented before, but I so love your blog & Instagram feed! Just wanted to pop in and say that we made this practically perfect meal - the chicken, rice, and Brussels sprouts last night. I wasn't expecting to love it SO much, but it was a HUGE hit!

nicole said...

tonight i made this using pork and whole grain mustard...super tasty!!

Betsy said...

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough, but do you buy chicken thighs with the skin on or off?

Carriage House Rest, LLC said...

I will be serving this as a meal for folks in the Carriage House Rest Retreat house this summer!!
Go to www.carriagehouserest.com to learn more! Thanks for sharing this!

hello

hello

about this blog

Hello, I'm Summer. A people-loving introvert whose hope and life is in Jesus. His promises are my passion and my ministry is homelife. This blog is a place for me to write about everyday things. Especially food. My favorite thing to do is sit around a table, lingering over a long meal with good conversation. I live with my husband and our 2 littles. We like blizzards, thrifting, grammar, guacamole, cheerful hearts, nice manners, good movies, and making simple, real, nutrient-dense food.

"If Christ be anything, He must be everything."
-C.H. Spurgeon

 photo ai-4.png  photo af-6.png  photo at-4.png  photo ap-6.png  photo ama.png

old posts