I'm writing this on the eve of my birthday, because I'm not sure if there will be time to stop and jot it down tomorrow. The night before my birthday I like to straighten the house, empty the kitchen sink, fold my clothes neatly, and generally do all the things. I think it's my attempt at a "perfect" day- where all the work is done the night before. :) Birthdays just make me want to get all my affairs in order. Speaking of which, I want to record where I'm at in life right now. A real diary entry. I like to do this every year and always hope I can think of things that I will look back on and laugh about someday.
- Right now I'm at the computer desk with a jar of almond butter and a banana.
- I'm wearing yoga pants and a zip-up hoodie because that's my uniform.
- My hair is in a pony tail and it's the longest it's ever been! No bangs, and not really any layers. My toe nails are blue.
- I just got done trimming Grant's neck and now he's finishing the rest of his haircut.
- It's 8:49 and my son (3 months) and daughter (2.8 years) are sleeping. They are my job and my joy. Somedays, it's easy to forget one or the other.
- I'm listening to a playlist that's a mix of Andy McKee, Nat King Cole, and the soundtrack from the movie Sabrina, but I've really been loving John Mayer's older albums lately.
- Our computer is humming at the moment because we're importing a bunch of old home videos from my childhood.
- Signs of aging: I went to Target and only shopped the kids' clothes. I take magnesium, talk about retirement funds and life insurance with my husband, and I need new bath towels.
- My birthday requests this year: coconut milk ice cream and a pair of jeans that fit me. Also, there will probably be a big bowl of guacamole while watching a movie with my favorite guy.
- Plans for the near future: buy/borrow a baby carrier, go to the dentist, hang some stuff on our walls (finally!), and support Grant through his upcoming eye surgery and the busy month of May.
- In the past year I think I've gotten better at: thawing meat in time for dinner.
- In the next year I want to get better at: trusting Him, not getting angry, not judging, world geography.
- I feel rich when: the fridge is loaded with avocados, my husband is home and his evening is free, the silverware drawer is full of clean forks and spoons, the promises of God are proven faithful in our life.
- Guilty pleasures: long showers, good typography, negative space, uninterrupted time to do creative things, British dramas, the dark chocolate lover's bar from Trader Joe's, Parks and Recreation, word games, coconut oil on everything, the Oscars.
- This is the latest picture of me. (Half of me, that is.) Casper and I took a nap together (which never happens) and I woke up first!
- I'm currently reading 7 by Jen Hatmaker and loving it. I'm ready to start recycling and purging our house.
- I've started keeping a quote book and it's filling up fast. There's a lot of John Piper in it already.
- We don't have cable this year. And it's been great. How did we have time for it before?
- I'm making this maple mustard chicken and these roasted Brussels sprouts for my birthday dinner.
- We still only have one car -- the same car! It's been a blessing.
- About Time is my favorite recently-seen movie.
- We are planning on living and working at Camp Shetek again this summer! Actually, Grant will be the only one "on staff" this year, and I'll be full-time mom and wifey.
- And lastly, but certainly the most powerful thing to note: Jesus. He is keeping me, teaching me, loving me. He has been made more real to me in this year. I love Him better than I did before, because I see that I need Him more, and more and more. Everyday, I need Him more. Jesus, keep on making me grow up in You. Let this be a year of Your glory.
Jeremiah 32:38-41 And they shall be my people, and I will be their God. I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me. I will rejoice in doing them good, and I will plant them in this land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul.
Happy, happy birthday to my twin sister Haley! She is my first friend and one of the greatest gifts in my life. I love every thing about this girl and am so grateful I get to do life with her.